Monday, July 9, 2012

Minecraft (PC, 2011)

The only real way to talk about Minecraft (2011) and do it justice is to discuss the many experiences I have had in the game.  The first thing I always do when playing is cut down trees to make wooden tools, a pickax and an ax, so that I can collect enough wood and stone to make a workbench a stone tools.  I build a small wooden (or stone) house that I can stay in for the night.  If I'm lucky enough to find sheep, I'll collect their wool to make a bed so that I don't have to wait for morning.  Building a small house quickly is essential to avoid the monsters that come out in the dark of night.
I never settle in the first place I find.  I collect my important belongings from my first hut and begin a trek across the landscape.  I'm searching for a cave to plant my roots near.  I'm always amazed by the randomly generated biomes of the world that I pass.  I'm struck by awe when I climb over and around the mountains.  I get a sense of serene when I traipse through a dense forest.  I can see for miles in the desert and the plains, with the livestock that inhabit them, are inspiring.  I find a cave and decide to start exploring it.
Spelunking is a dangerous activity.  Failure to prepare for a cave expedition could prove fatal.  It is always wise to carry a hundred or more torches, at least two pickaxes and shovels, and a sword.  Monsters dwell in the caverns below.  I'm lucky to find that this cave goes on for miles.  As not to get lost, I leave torches in every place I have traveled, and I leave markers leading me back to the entrance.  Losing one's sense of direction is easy underground.  I find plentiful ores of coal and iron.  Iron is one of the most important materials in the game.  Diamond makes the best tools, but iron is far more common, so most of my tools are made of it.  If I find diamond, I make a pickax out of it.
I find that my cave is connected to an abandoned mine shaft.  In exploring this new area, I quickly become lost and disoriented.  I can hear the growls of monsters unseen.  Sharp, narrow, and dark corridors daunt me from pressing forward.  It is one of the only times I have felt genuinely afraid while playing a video game.  My tools are almost broken, so I must dig my way straight up and out of the cave.  I poke out of the Earth in an unfamiliar territory.  After a bit of wandering I am able to find my home and now I can begin building.
From the cave I have collected a wealth of materials.  I have a lot of iron, some redstone (which carries an electric current), a little bit of gold, and a few diamonds.  I build new tools for my next expedition.  What I want to do more than anything is to add grandeur to my home.  Using clay collected from lakes and streams, I make bricks, and replace the stone wall with bricks and expand.  I make all different rooms.  I need a royal bedroom, an art room, a foyer, and a deck.  I love to build secret passages in my homes that lead to sacred sanctuaries for myself.  I am limited only by what nature provides, and my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment